Unite the union has called for urgent talks with energy company Wood Group in order to avert further strike action in the North Sea.
Yesterday (Monday 8 August) the union confirmed dates for further strike action by members employed by Wood Group, starting on Monday 15 August. The workers carry out maintenance and repair on platforms owned by Shell. They are facing cuts in pay and allowances of up to 30 per cent.
Unite regional officer John Boland said: “Last week Wood Group refused to take these proposed cuts off the table in order to allow proper negotiations. Now we have been told that the company is not willing to have talks until next week at the earliest. We find that astonishing.
“The company needs to start taking this dispute seriously. No-one takes industrial action lightly, but our members are staying united in the face of this unwarranted attack on their pay and conditions. These further strike dates show their determination.
“We know the North Sea oil and gas industry is facing challenges, but companies have to realise that they can’t prop up their profits or create a sustainable industry by attacking their workers.”
For further information, for interview, or to arrange a photo / filming opportunity, contact John Boland on 07918 630435 or 01224 6455271 or Unite Scotland Media & Communications Officer David Eyre on 07960 451631.
Notes to editors:
- Unite and the RMT trade unions have announced that members working for Wood Group on Shell’s Curlew platform will take part in 24-hour stoppages on 15, 22 and 29 August 2016.
- Members on Brent Alpha and Brent Bravo will take part in 24-hour stoppages on 16, 23 and 30 August 2016.
- Members on the Nelson, Gannet and Shearwater platforms will take part in 24-hour stoppages on 17, 24 and 31 August 2016.
- Members on the Brent Charlie platform will take 6 hour stoppages commencing at 06:30 hours and 18:30 hours on 16, 20, 23, 27 and 30 August 2016 and 3 September 2016.
- Unite is Britain and Ireland’s largest trade union with over 1.4 million members working across all sectors of the economy. The general secretary is Len McCluskey.
What you can do to support the #Northseastrike
- You can support the Unite and RMT union members employed by Wood Group on Shell assets UKCS taking Industrial Action by contacting your MSP
Has your MSP supported the North Sea Industrial Action :Motion S5M-00866 ?
If not, what can you do e- mail /write to them , ask them to support the Industrial action offshore click on the link below
2.Send a message of support to Unite and RMT Trade unions at email@example.com and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join Unite online today!
Unite is the largest trade union in for offshore workers in the North Sea UKCS
Have a voice, take action and make change happen. Join the union