Scottish Parliament Thursday 23rd February from approx. 11.30am onwards members debate on:
Co-investment in the UK Oil and Gas Sector
That the Parliament understands that the number of jobs lost as a result of the downturn in the UK oil and gas sector could be over 120,000 by the end of 2016; considers that the sector is of vital economic interest and cannot be left exclusively to market forces; further considers that the sector needs to have confidence that it can invest for the future; supports the use of Scottish and UK Government borrowing powers to leverage money into the sector, including active consideration of strategic public stakes in infrastructure investment, and notes calls on the Scottish Government to facilitate and take part in discussions with the UK Government, industry and trade unions to create a plan for co-investment that will support jobs, including in the north east, increase confidence and create returns to the public sector.
Supported by: Colin Beattie, Neil Findlay, Alex Rowley, Iain Gray, Tavish Scott, Jackie Baillie, Colin Smyth, Elaine Smith, Claire Baker, Anas Sarwar, Neil Bibby, Christine Grahame, Rhoda Grant, Monica Lennon, Johann Lamont, Richard Leonard, Maree Todd
Current Status: Achieved Cross Party Support
If you are a Unite member and work offshore and wish to attend the debate please contact the Aberdeen Unite office ASAP on 01224 645 271 or e mail firstname.lastname@example.org
How can you help
Unite has asked every MSP to support a motion by North East Scotland Labour MSP Lewis Macdonald that message has gone directly to Holyrood. It’s already got cross-party support, the debate will be on Thursday 23 Feb
Here’s how you can help – write to your MSPs!
2. Once you’re on the Write to Them website, enter your postcode and click ‘Go’.
2. On the next page – click ‘Write to all your Regional MSPs’ on the right hand side of the page.
3. Ask your MSPs to support Motion S5M-02310. If you work offshore, tell them about any problems or difficulties that you’re experiencing in the industry. Tell them that the industry needs public investment for the future. Use your own words – but keep it short.
4. Fill in your contact details and then click ‘Preview and Send’ at the bottom.
5. Facebook post or Tweet to your MSP asking them to Support the motion or ask them why they are not supporting motion #CoinvestmentNorthSea
6. Attend the Parliament Contact your Branch Secretary, Unite workplace rep or Regional Officer at the Aberdeen Unite Office
Previous Unite Offshore Post Nov 2016
+ Campaign update
We recently carried out a survey of our offshore members. Nearly 90% supported the Scottish or UK Governments taking a public stake in offshore companies to protect jobs and to secure investment.
Offshore Trade Unions are calling on the Scottish & UK Government’s top co-invest in the North Sea Oil &Gas sector to secure skills and jobs and
Information on motions at Parliament
Get Protected! Get Active! Get Organised!
Industrially, Politically, Community
Join Unite online today!
Unite is the largest trade union for offshore workers in the North Sea UKCS
Have a voice, take action and make change happen. Join the union